During two days of OCD hearings in June, we laid out a comprehensive and environmentally sound drilling program for this area. The program consisted of the following core commitments, along with other best-drilling practices:
- Using a closed-loop drilling system with above-ground steel tanks and no below-grade pits,
- Drilling with air tools rather than drilling fluids whenever possible, which mitigates the risk of contaminating ground water,
- Using a rigorous casing and cementing program to further minimize the risk of ground water contamination,
- Controlling run-on and run-off to prevent erosion around the well location, and
- Performing interim and final reclamation of areas affected by oil and gas operations.
Ralph P. Manoushagian
J. Curtis Henderson
Megan P. Brown
Approach Resources Inc.